Join Us for an Upcoming Virtual Event
As the racial justice protests unfolded in June 2020, many colleges and universities released statements of support and acknowledged the need for further action on campus. Some institutions even undertook long overdue action around removing confederate statutes, renaming controversial buildings, adding DEI trainings, and announcing new racial justice initiatives.
These actions, however, are only the beginning and it is likely that students will press for more change and faster than ever when the fall semester begins. This new wave of activism (described by some as a perfect storm) will also take place in a pandemic environment where student health and safety are paramount.
Most questions from VPSAs around this new wave of activism center on how to help students protest safely in a pandemic (either on campus or in the community) and how to adapt to an environment where a lot of the conversation is happening virtually.
Use the drop down in the banner above to register for one of the sessions. Sessions will have a didactic presentation plus interactive breakouts. Sessions are best suited for the VPSA, AVP student life, or dean of students.
- Wednesday, September 23 | 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Wednesday, September 30 | 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Monday, October 5 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Friday, October 2 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time
R1 institutions are encouraged to register for this date, if possible*
EAB work will provide VPSAs with data and tactics to:
- Ensure students are protesting safely during COVID-19 pandemic
- Spotlight strategies to build relationships and engage productively with student activists online
- Address the continuing trend of activists who are unknown to student affairs leaders (e.g. not in student government or a club leader)
- Educate institutional stakeholders about this new wave of racial justice activism and how it is different from other recent student movements