Senior Software Engineer
EAB is an education best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,600+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value.
At EAB, we serve not only our partners but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief
Senior Software Engineer
Are you focused on success? We are, too. EAB builds software to make students, teachers, staff, and schools more successful. We want them to graduate quicker, advise better, and dream bigger. And we want you to help us. Come tackle technical challenges like designing industry-leading apps, maintaining scale and security, and launching new products. Be part of success.
This role is based in Richmond, VA.
- Work with development managers, product managers and other stakeholders to get clarification on business requirements and then implement solutions including code development and design
- Ensure high-quality solutions by implementing unit tests and supporting the creation and design of integration, load and user acceptance tests
- Support operations by identifying, researching and resolving performance and production issues
- Aid in the development of solutions that support consistent information architecture, taxonomies, visual standards, interaction patterns, and use cases across multiple applications
- Collaborate with development team and product managers to enhance existing marketing products and develop new products
- Document and communicate progress on design and code for team members
- Mentor and guide associate engineers on tasks and small projects
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- 5+ years of professional Java development experience
- 5+ years of experience working with databases
- 5+ years of professional work experience with web technologies
- Experience with version control systems (Git, SVN)
- Experience with continuous integration
- Experience with cloud and serverless technologies
- Experience with scripting and/or infrastructure automation
- Experience working in a successful Agile scrum environment
- Ability to learn new and work successfully with different technologies
- Up-to-date on latest industry trends, able to articulate trends and potential clearly and confidently
- Works well in fast-paced environment and committed to team success
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with Python programming language
- Associate level AWS certification and experience with AWS technologies
- Experience working in a DevOps environment where engineers write, test, deploy, and support code and infrastructure
- Experience with Unix shell scripting
- Experience with REST APIs and JSON
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; dependents and domestic partners eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days of PTO annually, in addition to paid firm holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- Phase Back to Work program for employees returning from parental leave
- Infertility treatment coverage and adoption or surrogacy assistance
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.Apply Now