Quality Assurance Engineer
EAB is an education best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,600+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value.
At EAB, we serve not only our partners but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief
Quality Assurance Engineer
As a critical member of the EAB Technology QA team the QA Engineer is responsible for creating software test scenarios in an agile environment for functional, regression and performance tests for web and mobile based applications. The QA Engineer will be validating user-interfaces and backend components for products built with various technological solutions and ensure correctness of data by using manual and automated testing skills. By applying strong technical and communication skills, the QA Engineer will collaborate with other QA team members, developers and business partners while providing testing support throughout the entire development life cycle, in order to deliver high quality products to our partners.
This role is based in Washington, DC.
- Participate and provide input on story requirements, design, estimation and test approach discussions
- Own the creation and ongoing maintenance of test artifacts
- Collaborate with the development team and business partners to ensure the scope of tests is comprehensive, and to mitigate defects prior to testing
- Create test data sets which fully exercise data validation and end-to-end system functionality
- Validate code changes in various technologies (Java/Django-Python/Ruby-Rails, Postgres/MySQL, Webservices, etc.)
- Identify potential impact areas to existing downstream functionality; presenting risks when appropriate
- Write and execute complex SQL queries to validate actual test results match expected results
- Identify and log defects if/when a test fails, if necessary, using SQL to narrow down the root cause of the problem for efficient investigation by the development team and log accordingly
- Participate in automated and performance/stress testing activities, in collaboration with the development and operations teams, to ensure satisfactory performance of the system
- Provide input during key agile team review sessions (e.g., Iteration Kickoff/Retrospectives, Release Readiness, etc.)
- Facilitate and/or support User Acceptance Testing
- Support after-hours or weekend production releases
- Participate in QA process improvement initiatives and cross-team/company activities
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 + years of direct QA experience in a web or mobile based development environment
- Experience creating comprehensive test scenarios/data for back end and E2E testing, and providing accurate LOE estimations
- Experience with manual testing methodologies of complex systems
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies
- Ability to write complex SQL queries and apply SQL/database concepts in an environment with multiple database types, instances, partitions, or schemas.
- Familiarity with layered testing principles (e.g., unit testing, system testing, parallel testing)
- Knowledge of IT systems, database concepts, expertise with any RDBMS
- Knowledge of general programming concepts such as loops, packages, builds, source control using any Object Oriented scripting language
- Experience using Excel to do quantitative analysis and use analytical reasoning
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written, with team members and managers
- Experience handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Experience working in a cloud based environment.
- Experience working in mobile app development environment.
- Experience in automation methodologies or tools (e.g., Selenium WebDriver, Appium, etc.)
- You can support the maintenance of QA test environment (Virtual machines, deployments, test data repository)
- If you are a proponent of open source tools and are active in the open source community
- Knowledge of higher education data and/or University IT systems
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; dependents and domestic partners eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days of PTO annually, in addition to paid firm holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- Phase Back to Work program for employees returning from parental leave
- Infertility treatment coverage and adoption or surrogacy assistance
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.Apply Now