Create Your IT Strategic Plan
For most institutions, IT is a bolt-on consideration in strategic planning—if it even makes an appearance at all. IT strategic planning fills the gap, ensuring that IT efforts are organized to maximize contribution to institutional strategic goals. An IT strategic plan documents and communicates the outputs of this process and provides a pathway forward for the CIO’s team: the IT organization’s vision, mission, and strategic goals and objectives.
- 1. Assess whether your campus and IT organization are ready to invest in strategic planning
- 2. Secure support for IT’s strategic planning process
- 3. Conduct an environmental scan and collect data to inform strategy
- 4. Identify IT activities that support institutional goals and objectives
- 5. Prioritize IT’s goals and objectives through workshopping and collaboration
- 6. Draft, revise, and finalize your IT strategic plan